Were you super excited when Windows 10 was rolled out and wasted no time in getting the free upgrade from Windows 7/8? Well, by now you must have noticed that Windows 10 is full of advertisements intended to persuade users into purchasing applications from Microsoft Store or availing its services. Here is a list of different ways to block advertisements in your Windows 10 device:
Block advertisements from the Lock screen.
Ads show up on the lock screen either via the Windows spotlight or the custom background. Even though the advertisements cannot be disabled on Windows spotlight, users can set a custom background image, and stop the OS from showcasing advertisements on the Lock screen. Here is how you can block advertisements from the Lock screen:
- Press the Windows key.
- In the Start menu, locate Settings and click on it.
- Select Personalization.
- Now, go to Lock Screen.
- Click on Background.
- From the pull-down list, either choose Picture or Slideshow.
- Now, just click on Browse and pick the image or images you wish to add.
- Now go to Get fun facts and turn it off.
Block Advertisements from the Start menu
If you have Windows 10, then you must have noticed that application ad suggestions appear in the Start menu. Microsoft sneaks in advertisements in a minuscule section of the Start menu. This tiny segment is used for promotion of applications in the Windows App Store. If you do not want Microsoft to squeeze ads in the Start menu, then here is what you need to do:
- Open the Start menu and click on Settings.
- Go to Personalization.
- Select Start from the left panel.
- Tap or click on the bar below Occasionally show suggestions in Start.
Block Advertisements from the Windows Ink Workspace
The Windows Ink Workspace feature makes it more convenient and swifter to use Stylus. It also comes with a dedicated area for advertisements, carefully guised as “Suggested apps.” This area displays suggestions for pen-enabled applications present in the Windows App Store. Here is what you need
- Launch the Start menu.
- Click on Settings.
- Go to Devices.
- Select Pen and Windows Ink from the list.
- Go to Show recommended app suggestions and disable it.
Block Notification Advertisements in Windows 10
In the most recent Windows version, Microsoft is attempting to make it for convenient for consumers to locate and access the newly added features. To achieve this, Microsoft pushes tips, tricks, and suggestions which appear as regular desktop notifications. These notifications are kept in the Action Centre so that users can view them at some other time. Here is what you need to do to block such notification ads:
- Launch the Settings application.
- Go to System.
- Now, click on Notifications and actions from the left pane.
- Click on the bar below Get tips, tricks, and suggestions to disable it.
Block Cortana Pop-up Advertisements in Windows 10 Taskbar
Cortana is a lively and sneaky digital assistant. Instead of staying at its place on the taskbar, and allow the user to address it first, it keeps on popping up. If you do not wish to get troubled by Cortana continually seeking your attention, then here is what you need to do:
- Launch Cortana.
- Now, go to Settings.
- Click on the bar below Taskbar tidbits.
- Turn it off.